Thursday, April 28, 2016

Accomplishments

I started out this week feeling a little bummed because I missed a feis near where I used to live. Though I was so not ready, it was cool that adult novice/prizewinner had 8 competitors. I saw my old school had posted pictures from the feis, and it looks like most of my old classmates are now champ dancers. I know I couldn't have handled the prelim prep class while pregnant, but it was just frustrating to think about everyone else moving forward while I moved backwards in my dance and fitness.

But then I started looking for the bright side. I gave birth to a healthy little boy, and I continue to be his sole source of nourishment, as I am breastfeeding. How cool is that? Sure, my jogging is super-slow, but it is still fast enough that if I was still in the Army, I would pass the 2-mile portion of the physical fitness test. My reel has greatly improved this week, as did my slip jig, though I still can't do both slip jig steps together. I am out of town the next couple of weeks, but maybe I can get a little time to practice while I've got lots of relatives willing to hang out with the little boy. I haven't officially signed up for any feisanna yet, but I hope to be back at competing by June. My hard shoe still needs a lot of work, though.

This week, I also got an adult class T-shirt, my first piece of apparel from my new school. I feel all official. I saw an article that one of my friends from another school posted about Irish dance schools in the area, and the one I attend was described as "highly-competitive," which may have scared me off, even when I was younger. I wasn't the most coordinated youth, at least not until sometime midway through marching band season in 7th grade. Though different things I'd heard or read made this school not my first choice, because I didn't think it would be the right fit, but I am so glad things worked out the way they did. I love my dance family, and I am sad I will be out of town and not able to attend an upcoming local feis with them. I wish them the best of luck though, and there's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment