Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Temporary Setback

My husband is doing a temporary duty assignment in another state this week, so I've traveled to my parents' house so I can have some help with the baby. Since they live near my old home/old dance school, I won't be going to dance class this week. But it doesn't mean I can't work out. I've been trying to plank when I can, since that only takes 30-45 seconds at a time. Plus, I've figured out how to do some ab work with a 13 lb weight, aka my son :) If I lean back just a little while I hold him while sitting on the floor, I can really feel it in my lower abs.

I figured having so many family members around would be the perfect time to continue with my run/jog Couch to 5K plan. Though I felt really slow and am alternating 2-3 min of walking and running, it felt good to be back on my familiar run route, out in the sunshine and spring air. I went to the highway and back, because I knew that it was 0.7 miles each way, and was planning on doing it again after turning around in my parents' driveway, but I didn't get that far. While I was walking on the edge of my parents' land and the road, I saw the neighbors' dogs come running down the hill across the road. I started cutting diagonally through my parents' property, trying to walk calmly so they would know I am not a threat, and I hoped they would just turn around when they reached the road. But no, the one jumped up and bit me in the butt, they barked and circled around me, and the other, smaller dog bit me in the leg. They were barking and jumping, and it was scary because I didn't know what they else they would do, so I started yelling for help. One neighbor was on a riding lawn mower facing away from me, and I thought my parents were in the house, but fortunately my mom heard the barking and thought the dogs were after her cats, so she came out to yell at them. When she yelled at them to go home, they backed off, but I was still shaken up from the incident. The nurses' line that my insurance provided said I needed to get checked out to at least get a tetanus booster. Nothing was bad enough for stitches, and the doctor said I should be okay, even though they didn't have their shots.

I'm okay, but it is so frustrating. I've run that route for a good 10 years or so, putting on probably hundreds of miles. Now I feel like I have to drive to a local park to go for a run. Plus, it is even worse that I was walking, IN MY PARENTS' YARD, when it happened. As far as my workout went, I had to cut it short and didn't stretch afterwards, since I immediately got on the phone with the insurance company, after I finished crying on the porch. I was just getting back on track with exercise, and even though it's not much a physical setback, it mentally took a toll. And now I fear for my son. We used to have family cookouts and stuff at my parents' house, but now, apparently their side yard is not even safe :( Exercise-wise, I will not be deterred. Maybe I will even go down to a county trail where there are leash laws for a walk/jog tomorrow. But the hypochondriac in me is still a little worried about the rare possibility of an infection or something from the dog bites :(  

No comments:

Post a Comment