Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Little Changes

I haven't blogged in a while because I've felt like there's nothing really blog-worthy to write about. I missed dance class last week because my brother-in-law's family and my mother-in-law were in town, so we've been eating out a lot, and I haven't ran since I came home from my trip to my brother's wedding. However, I'm beginning to notice maybe it is just little changes that I need to make at first, and accept that my life with baby is different than my life used to be. First, when it comes to getting chores done, I think I need to accept that I will get nothing done. Then, when I slice vegetables for supper, do a load of laundry (but don't have time to fold it), or run the dishwasher, I can feel like I accomplished something. How does this relate to fitness? Well, I was trying to do some moves that I remembered from an old workout DVD in between folding towels and baby clothes. Not much, but at least it worked my abs a little. Plus, I've joined a weekly walking group with other moms from the breastfeeding support group. Pushing a stroller up a hill in the southern heat is a pretty good workout after all. Also, I have been doing a little practice of Irish dance in the afternoons and evenings. Just 15 minutes or so at a time, mainly just working on the rhythms to the music. I need to drill a click sequence in hornpipe (I'm just not fast enough), but I don't really have the space. I guess I need to copy the music to an iPod (I'm old-school and use a CD in a boombox) and go to one of the apartment complex's common areas. I think it is my lack of ab strength that is causing issues, so I need to drill a lot of clicking to get back to where I was. Finally, I've switched from Frosted Mini-Wheats (and other semi-healthy, somewhat sweet) cold cereals to measuring out 1 serving of unsweetened oatmeal in the mornings, which I jazz up with cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice. I've been trying to cut back on sweetened beverages too, though I can't go cold turkey. We'll see if these small changes help me lose some of these pregnancy pounds and get back to feeling more like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment