Sunday, June 12, 2016

Feis Recap and More

I'll start out with the non-feis news... I lost a couple pounds and am now no longer "overweight" on the BMI chart! I'm still heavier than I've ever been, aside from during pregnancy, but I am making progress. Plus, my jogging time is getting faster. Still much slower than where I was pre-pregnancy, but I cut about a minute off my two-mile time in the past week.

The feis turned out to be exactly what it was supposed to be...a chance to get up on stage and get the jitters out, to get back in the game prior to feising on what used to be my home turf. The day began with a 1st (out of 2) in reel, so that was a nice confidence builder, even though I was quite nervous and was looking down a lot to make sure I didn't run out of room on the stage (I heard someone say the stages actually were too narrow, but I still need to practice not moving so much in some of my steps). Then there was a fire alarm prior to slip jig, so that threw off my confidence! I can't imagine what it would have been like to been one of the dancers on stage at the time. I got second out of two on slip jig and hornpipe, which was kind of a bummer, but I didn't totally mess up and forget anything, so now that I know I can do the dances, I can work on making them better. I even missed a click in hornpipe and kicked my foot, but didn't really mess up the rhythm, so that was a big relief. I can do this. I can be ready for the next feis (even if it will be another feis without treble jig).

When I went to pick up my awards, I was surprised to get a trophy for 2nd place out of 3 in traditional set. The pre-pregnancy me would have felt silly for getting a trophy for beating one person, but now I have a little more perspective and wisdom. On that day, the trophy represented getting back up there, less than 4 and a half months after giving birth. It represented all the effort I made to keep dancing, to get feis-ready, and take a chance and compete, even if I didn't feel like I was back to my usual self yet. It was a victory over extra pounds, milk-filled boobs, constant bathroom breaks, and not much practice time. Most of all, it re-energized me. I may not be back to where I was, but I'm on my way. My best is yet to come!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!!! SO happy to hear this! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete